Friday, June 22, 2012

Recently, on the Barstool...

It's been six weeks or so since I last did a rundown of what's been going on over on the other side...


I'm continuing to be quite busy with music posts (and may become even more so, now that I'm blessed with fast Internet access): I marked my departure from China with an a cappella rendition of poignant farewell song The Parting Glass by The Wailin' Jennys, a folk trio from Canada; we've also had Queen's Japanese love song, Teo Torriatte, Tom Lehrer's classic Bright College Days (actually one of my category tags over on the drinking blog), One Thing On Your Mind, a wonderful Country & Western spoof by Neil Innes on the important topics of sex and football, and another entry in my Favourite Basslines series (featuring John Paul Jones, John Entwistle, Tom Hamilton, Jah Wobble, Jaco Pastorius, and Bakithi Khumalo).

We've also seen a brief celebration of Brazil's national cocktail, the caipirinha, the discovery of a new culinary delight, a renewed call-to-arms against excessive booze prices in Beijing, and an analysis of what's wrong with most bars there (even when they're run by foreigners).

That post with the great Neil Innes song has also become home to an extensive comment thread on the ongoing European Football Championships (sports nuts, please visit).

The other major item of business recently has been A Decade of Change, a series reviewing the transformation in the Beijing bar scene I've witnessed since the early Noughties (Part I, Part II, Part III).


Lots of good things for you to check out there.



No comments: