Friday, June 29, 2012

Haiku for the week

Caress of cool air,
Gentle hum a lullaby:
Ceiling fan soothes sleep.


I had almost forgotten how much I love ceiling fans, they really are one of my favourite things: well engineered ones, at least, whose motors are scarcely - perhaps only subliminally - audible... rather than those wobbly, rattly contraptions that threaten at any moment to tear themselves from their mountings... the kind you mostly find in China.

I used the ceiling fan in my bedroom for the first time last night - even though the temperature didn't really warrant it - and enjoyed the best night's sleep I've had in months. I've decided I want to live in a house with ceiling fans, even if it's in some northerly climate where there's no actual need for them to keep things cool.


2 comments:

JES said...

We're getting ready to have two ceiling fans installed in the living room, and one out on the covered porch in back. Both have a so-called cathedral ceiling -- 16+ feet high at the peak -- and I worry, a little, that all the warm air which presumably pools up there will simply be redistributed through the rest of the room. People who live in homes with similarly installed ceiling fans, and of course the ceiling-fan salesmen, assure me that my imagination's getting the better of me.

Is this a bedroom in the USA? or was this post written in advance while you were in England?

Froog said...

In the US, indeed. I have NEVER seen a ceiling fan in the UK. And air-conditioning was unheard of until a few years ago, and is still confined to large commercial premises, mostly in London. It just doesn't get hot enough to warrant it very often.