Thursday, February 23, 2012

How to lose friends and antagonise people

Take a bazooka to their sacred cows, that's how.

Just in the last few weeks, I have risked outraging and appalling large sections of my potential readership by... averring that The Shawshank Redemption is not the best prison movie ever made, but the worst; mocking the achievements of Chairman Mao; characterising Withnail and I (an enormous cult favourite among UK students) as unengaging and strident; and wishing that The Lord of the Rings might have been written by anyone other than Tolkien.

I don't accommodate myself well to widely held opinions; I don't tolerate misplaced enthusiasms; and I don't pull my punches in deference to brittle sensitivities.

You might say that rubbing people up the wrong way is something of a speciality of mine.


No comments: