Friday, February 10, 2012

Haiku for the week

Every muscle stiff.
Hard to exercise again -
Idleness entrenched!


After two months of sitting on my sofa watching HBO, my weight peaked at 220lbs at the start of this week. That's about 20lbs more than it ought to be. And so, I have declared war on the middle-aged flab-out and the sedentary lifestyle, and determined to try and get myself back in shape. I thought I'd started in quite modest fashion, but I'd obviously underestimated just how out of condition I'd got... because after Day 2, everything hurt, to the point where I could barely move. 

I'm recovering slightly after a rest day: time to inflict some pain on myself again...


2 comments:

JES said...

I think The Missus and I may have crossed some threshold of it-is-what-it-is, fatalistic inertia in re: the matter of our physical conditioning. One or the other of us occasionally gets a burst of ambition but it seldom lasts. I think we were both so thrilled to give up smoking five or six years ago that we concluded we'd paid enough dues.

We did get a new bathroom scale last week. Does that count towards progress?

Froog said...

Well, it rather depends on your relationship with the scales. It they are like a nagging parent or a tactless neighbour that you do your best to avoid, or the overbearingly well-intentioned friend whose advice you invariably ignore - then, NO.

I've lapsed quite badly from 'the programme' already - had a heap of work on this week, and have hardly dragged myself away from the keyboard.