Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Traffic Report - the blog stats for October

Another pretty typical month: slightly subdued over on The Barstool, because I was not drinking for most of the month (although this did, of course, provoke a lot of short posts on the fact that I was not drinking), but surprisingly robust on Froogville, despite a heavy work schedule and the anxiety of suddenly facing imminent homelessness.


There were 35 posts and around 12,000 words on Froogville last month.

There 32 posts and just under 7,000 words on Round-The-World Barstool Blues.



Statcounter tells me that Romania and Argentina have been added to the list of countries that have looked in on us.

I have in mind a new idea for curtailing my effusiveness on here. Though I fear it is so crazy that it may end up costing me even more time and effort…

See if you can guess what it is.

6 comments:

John said...

Isn't doing something crazy to curtail effusiveness an oxymoron or have I failed to understand the meaning of this (new to me) word entirely?
Also- pinch punch, first of the month. Do they have a similar thing over there?

Froog said...

The English teacher (with the Classical education) says...

It's not an oxymoron to use two words that have opposing tendencies together in a sentence - such as curbing growth or minimising inflation.

An oxymoron is a two-word phrase where there is an apparent internal tension or inconsistency, the words not seeming to go together. The most quoted examples are bitter-sweet (originally coined in ancient Greek poetry) and military intelligence.

Anonymous said...

Jumbo shrimp!

Curtailing effusiveness? I hope you're not planning to stop complaining O_o

That's what makes Froogville, Froogville !!

JES said...

Well, if I were trying to be witty I might suggest that the plan to curtail effusiveness -- hinted at in your first paragraph -- is to drink a lot more.

That's not it, though, is it?

Little though I've been posting in recent weeks, sometimes it still feels as though I'm spending too much time blogging. (Well, the posts I have put up have taken no less work and time than ever. Still...) I've done some desultory searches for software which will lock me out of Chrome, Firefox, the Web in general for whatever periods of time I want. I'm pretty sure such software exists, even -- especially? -- for Linux, at least in the form of parental-controls ("No Internet after dinner!" etc.) programs.

But I know that would likely not work. (a) I'd still need to get online at unpredictable moments (fact-checking, important email expected, and so on). (b) I'd subvert the whole intention by turning "circumventing the Web-cop software" into a game.

Somehow, simply exercising self-control just seems so contrary to the online spirit.

Froog said...

Ah, JES, I think you'll be impressed, if you twig.

I believe you have a more-than-sneaking admiration, nay an affinity for OCD behaviours. Well, this month on my blogs is for you...

JES said...

Yes, I long ago surrendered all pretense of disinterest in OCDing. Looking forward to taking notes!