Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Driven to abstraction (1)

One of the reasons I don't post many of my own photographs on here is that I seldom take pictures anyone else finds all that interesting. I'm fascinated by geometry and texture and quirky light effects and bizarre found objects. And I tend to noodle around with extreme close-up views and odd camera angles, and deliberate fuzzy focus or movement blur. I'm into oddity. I  don't photograph people or buildings or views very much any more. In fact, it's become increasingly rare that I photograph anything that you'd recognise at first glance.

Hence this representative sample, from among the shots I took while on my hols a couple of months back.

This, for example, is a skewed view of the edge of the enquiries window at the entrance to the Yunnan Military Academy Museum in Kunming. I fancied there was a bit of an M.C. Escher thing going on with moulding of the corners here.

And this is a wrinkled napkin. I was hoping the ultra close-up, and the soft focus, and the natural lighting would completely conceal the texture of the fabric to render something really abstract - and perhaps evocative of a Martian landscape. I've achieved much better results with this kind of thing on other occasions, but this is the only one I seem to have in this particular batch of photos.

And this is the air intake of a jet fighter plane which is on display in the grounds of Kunming Zoo. 

These canopy roofs with large circular or oval cutouts seem to be quite a common architectural trope in China. This one's on the waterfront in Hankou. I snapped it mainly for the dazzling blue sky above.

2 comments:

John said...

Glad to see more photos here. You write thousands of words already but, well you know what they say about pictures.

Froog said...

More coming soon, John.