Monday, August 22, 2011

A milestone

Today I am embarking upon my tenth year of living in China. Oiveh!

This is about three or four years more than I ever contemplated being here. I had thought I'd probably skip out after the dratted Olympics, but.... the world economy collapsed and there were no jobs to be had anywhere. Things aren't much better three years on - especially for someone as resolutely 'unemployable' as myself.

The 'Escape Plan' still refuses to coalesce.

I'm thinking I might spend a few months trying to learn some Spanish and Arabic, and see which one I take to more. That would then guide my job search toward South America or the Middle East.

But I fear I'm probably going to be here for at least one more year, maybe two or three. What shall I do with myself? Watch and see.


2 comments:

Don Tai said...

You have resilience I lack. Either that or you should be committed to a mental asylum. The economy here in Canada sucks, stay in China.

Either way, congratulations for persevering for this long. I will read your blog and give you the benefit of doubt more often. What does not kill you will make you stronger, or in your case, more Chinese.

Froog said...

Er, thanks for the "encouragement", Don.

I think the danger of becoming "more Chinese" - that is, of picking up some of the less endearing traits of the local people: the selfishness, the impatience, the argumentativeness - is one of the things that most terrifies us long-term expats, and most encourages us to ponder a move.