Friday, August 26, 2011

Haiku for the week

Weary of the road
Hesitating to return
Wearier of home


God, it's been a fraught first week (um, barely six days) back! And I seem not to have either the physical or emotional energy to deal with any of it. I suppose last week, although fun, was rather stressful - huge amounts of walking (and concomitant dehydration/sunstroke), occasional gippy tum, bothersome allergies from the air-conditioning, and a near-death experience in "the mountains". And I was "sleeping" (not well) on the floor all week in my friends' apartment. And then I capped that with a 27-hour journey home (nearly half of it on a very grotty K-train from Xinyang [I was told by several amazed passengers that I may be the ONLY foreigner ever to have boarded the train at Xinyang!], again largely sleepless: China substitutes jet-lag with train-lag).

What is it about holidays, that they always leave you feeling like you need a holiday?

No comments: