Monday, July 25, 2011

Sometimes, when I fear I'm blogging too much...

... I console myself that at least I'm still refusing to join the Twitterati.

do not approve of that medium at all. No, sirree. Even more self-important and time-consuming and pointless than blogging (and that's saying something)! And I am far from being alone in this aversion.

A number of science fiction writers have pointed out that anyone who achieved a telepathic ability to read the thoughts of others would soon be driven mad by the incessant inanity he 'overheard' all around him, and would strive to find some way to inhibit or discard the 'gift'. I think we've reached a similar situation with Twitter and its clones. Whether some of the individual messages might have value or not ("Anyone up for a revolution? See you down the Wangfujing McDonald's on Sunday afternoon!") is rather beside the point. There are far too many of them, and they are fundamentally ephemeral. Twaddle might have been a better name for the service.

We need to free our minds of this worthless, distracting babble. Renouncing the medium altogether is the only way.  Are you with me, brothers and sisters?  No, probably not; but you gotta try, dontcha?


[And yes, I am doing the Chinese government's nefarious work for them here. They've finally realised that they've got to squish Weibo in a hurry, but they've no idea how to do that now without unleashing a mighty shitstorm.]

No comments: