Thursday, February 10, 2011

What is this strange stuff?

Snow??

Can it really be???


I rose early this morning, and was shocked to discover that we had had a light dusting overnight.

Now, it's started again, and the sky looks full of it - although it's thin and wet, and the temperature is scarcely below freezing, so it probably won't hang around for long.

I think this is "officially" the dryest winter on record in Beijing... and the latest first fall of snow.

Can anyone remember when we last had some precipitation?  I have a feeling we might have had a little bit at some point in October, but the last reference I can find to any here on my blogs is in early September.  Have we really been 5 months without a drop of moisture falling in our capital?  Jeez, this place is a desert!

2 comments:

GracieLi said...

Ye olde CCTV reports it was a 108 day dry spell, longest in 60 years. Clearly they have not been tracking my own personal dry spell...

Froog said...

Hang on, Gracie, did you not just drag up last year's 'end of drought' report from the Internet somewhere?

Or is there some kind of superstition in China about it actually being - in some bizarre way - good juju to go without moisture for 108 days??

'Cos I'm sure it's at least 120 days this time, maybe nearer 150.

And they said 108 days this time last year..... (But it was probably longer than that then as well!)