Monday, February 14, 2011

I despair (again) of China...

No. 1,000,009 in an ongoing series....


In a way, I suppose I can't entirely blame him.  Others before him had parked all along the fulu ('service road') alongside the main drag of Dongzhimenwai... often, indeed, double parked... and, in one instance, treble parked.... so, that narrow road was barely passable at all, and there were certainly no obvious (illegal, but 'available') parking spots along there.

What could a man of substance like himself do but drive half a mile along the sidewalk until he reached the restaurant where he was to be dining that night?

It was a cruel misfortune that he should encounter so many pedestrians in his path.  And that one of them should be me.


Yes, it took him rather longer to get to his dinner engagement than he had anticipated.  But his windshield wasn't broken.  He should be thankful.

2 comments:

Cedra Wood said...

Oh, gracious!

Given that you lived to tell the tale, could concerned parties conclude that you fared as well as the windshield?

Froog said...

Oh, he'd didn't run into me - for once!

But he did honk rather aggressively to try to get me to find somewhere that I could step aside, on this fairly narrow sidewalk. So I turned around and yelled all the dirtiest Chinese I know at him and then made a point of walking right down the middle of the sidewalk as slowly as possible. If I'd had something heavy to throw through his windscreen, I might well have done so - I was absolutely livid.