Wednesday, November 10, 2010

War on Chinglish (17)

Remind me of what I already know.

Inform me of what I don't know.



That is all.


[Well, no, not quite all.  I admit that I am irked by this at the moment because I have just encountered it - yet again - with a school I am working with.  It seems like another example of a rather-too-common Chinese slipperiness, seeking to find oblique ways to insinuate that they've already told you something they know they should have told you but didn't somehow get around to telling you.  You know - I find a scrawled handwritten note on the bottom of the slip of paper with the printed address of the company where I'm supposed to be pitching a training course the next day, and it says: "Reminder - laptop."  No previous reference has been made to the need for a laptop.  I hate using PPT slides anyway.  This school has promised to provide all necessary materials to me, and they haven't given me any PPT slides.  They haven't asked me to prepare any PPT slides.  So, what, pray, is all this crap about bringing a laptop?  There is no way I am going to be carrying my own laptop around with me all day just to do one brief pitch at the end of the afternoon.  That is all.]

No comments: