Friday, August 20, 2010

Recently, on the Barstool...

A continuing fertile spell over on my 'dark side' blog. Odd, perhaps, given the current suspension of its main raison d’être - namely, my stopping drinking for the month.



A few weeks back, for example, while complaining about the selfishness of people who order half a dozen mojitos in a crowded and overworked bar, I floated the (I think, brilliant) idea of the Mojito Trough - for large-scale mixing and communal consumption.

I've also undertaken a brief review of how my New Year's Resolutions for 2010 are going so far (mixed results!), reflected on just why time seems to drag so when you're not drinking, and added to my occasional 'Great Dating Disasters' series an account of what might just be The Worst Date In History.

Just this last weekend, I offered up versions of These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You) - by Billie Holliday, Ella Fitzgerald, and Jane Birkin. Then I followed that up with a particularly personal 'Top Five' list of the things that most remind me of my best buddy The Arts Entrepreneur (with whom - in a fairer, kinder world - I would be drinking right now, in the fair city of Edinburgh!).

A couple of days ago, I added another of my occasional 'catalogues' of recommended posts from the beginning of 2009.

However, the cream of the recent crop, I think (in fact, possibly one of my best posts ever on the 'drinking blog' - although admittedly perhaps a bit of an 'in joke' for fellow Beijingers), is the thus far woefully neglected Trajectory - an analysis of the typical life cycle of a non-mainstream Beijing bar.

Please go and check some of these out. (And let me know what you think of them.)


No comments: