Friday, July 30, 2010

Another piece of Friday frivolity

Another from the vaults of Viz comic's Crap Jokes, another dedicated to that connoisseur of the pun, JES. This one depends on some knowledge of the great English game of cricket and of the '60s/'70s English folk music scene, on an appreciation of this Liverpudlian band and this arcane sporting craft.

Sorry, but this made me fall off my chair, snort my drink out of my nose, clutch my aching ribs, etc. when I first saw it. Also, it overwhelmed me with a flood of nostalgia - for my '70s childhood, Test Match Special on the BBC, the English summer....

I really should have gone home this August. I am long overdue for a break from this dratted country.

2 comments:

JES said...

Will take your word for it... I have none of the prerequisite knowledge, but having followed the links and done my mental-squinting thing at the shape of the joke, I can see it's masterful!

I'd never thought of it before, but yes -- having to give up (or at least suppress) the sharing of in-jokes about one's native culture would be a very tough thing to live with, in relocating to another (especially radically different) country. Lord knows it was hard enough just to go from the northeastern US to the Deep South!

Froog said...

Rotten of me to tease you like that! I knew you'd go to the links to try to work out what the joke was.

I have had many crash&burn moments in Chinese classrooms trying to tell elementary jokes like "A horse goes into a bar - and the barman says, 'Why the long face?'"