Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Tick, tick, tick goes the counter...

LOOK! Over there, in the sidebar (quite a long way down...): my Statcounter 'visitor total' is getting mighty close to 50,000. Some time in the next couple of days, that milestone will be passed. [Oops - the sidebar counter is in fact provided by Sitemeter.]


Yes, yes, I know - "hill of beans", and all that. This figure doesn't really tell us anything about the number of people who 'visit' in any meaningful sense of the word (much less about how much they actually read, or enjoy, of what they find here).

But numbers fascinate us, counting fascinates us.....

We don't count sheep because it make us drowsy, we do it because it feeds an addiction.

3 comments:

Just said...

Ah congratulations for when it happens. I am nowhere (like not even a small can of beans) near your hill of beans, but I know what you mean about the numbers addiction. Feels like an affirmation that someone has spotted your existence- however briefly!

Froog said...

A new reader! Thanks for dropping by. I hope we'll hear from you again.

JES said...

Wish I'd pushed you over the top, but alas, it's up to 50,250 now.