Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Politically incorrect

My latest group of students includes a couple of members of the Kuomintang. I hadn't realised that the Kuomintang still existed in the mainland. Live and learn!


I gather from Wikipedia that this Kuomintang is a completely separate entity from the ruling party in Taiwan, one of the eight minority parties sanctioned by the CCP, and properly known as the Revolutionary Committee of the Kuomintang (中国国民党革命委员会).

However, my students would keep referring to it as the "Chinese Kuomintang".


"But surely the Kuomintang in Taiwan is also Chinese? I think perhaps you should say 'the Mainland Kuomintang'," I teased, succumbing - for once - to an upsurge of CCP-approved 'right thinking' and 'correct speech'.


I mean well. I would like to think that I may have saved my two students from a trip to the gulags.

No comments: