Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Getting interactive (or not)

I've just attempted to put up an online poll on brother-blog Barstool Blues, soliciting opinons as to which is the best of Beijing's cocktail bars.

Alas, it looks like being (at least, at present) a dismal disaster: I don't know if it's a problem with the poll-widget website or just with my Net connection or my proxy, but.... well, for me it's either not loading the quiz at all, or it's doing so with such SLOWNESS that nobody's going to have the patience to wait for it.

Of course, this poll is nought but a cunning plan to try to ascertain whether I have any readers any more over there. The evidence of the comments is not promising: they've almost completely dried up over the past six months. However, many people who can never be bothered to comment might just click on a quick quiz..... if the bloody thing would download promptly for them.

I wonder if this is going to get any response or not.

4 comments:

JES said...

Me! Me! I'm commenting!

Well, here anyway. Probably not what you mean when you wonder if "this" will get any response, but, well, there you go. I can't help you with the poll (unless you just want someone to test the widget).

I've always been curious why you established and then tried to maintain two separate bloggish presences; it seems more work than necessary. But then I also figure, well, it's none of my business -- probably lots of folks (but who knows?) keep separate houses for their nobler selves and their vices.

...and then I think, too, of your occasional blog-posting stats. If all those posts were merged into one, er, resource, it could possibly overwhelm the respective readerships. And/Or make what's currently the Barstool's content seem weirdly... significant. ("Wow -- he posts equally easily about movies, music, drinking, blogging, drinking, the classics, drinking, China, work or its absence, drinking...!": the conclusion there is probably not going to be, "...he must be a real polymath!" y'know?)

Froog said...

Did you test the widget?

It seems there has been once response so far - but a moderately unlikely one, and the bar name most likely to appeal by its mere oddness to anyone who wasn't familiar with any of the candidates.

The bloody poll still isn't displaying for me. I think I'm going to have to delete it, and try another site.

Do you have any recommendations for this kind of thing, JES? I don't recall ever seeing a poll on your site - but it's the kind of thing I expect you to know, in keeping with your all-around IT-wizardry.

stuart said...

Just to reassure you, Froog, I'm a daily visitor and occasional commenter here (but not 'the other place').

Froog said...

Thank you, thank you, my loyal 'regulars' - but I think the context here makes it reasonably clear that my curiosity/anxiety about whether "this" would draw the hoped-for response or not was directed towards the subject of this post (namely the Beijing Cocktai Bar poll over on The Barstool, NOT this post itself.