Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Losing my patience with Yahoo Mail

Since the Kafka Boys' interfering ways cover not just Net-surfing but also sometimes the use of e-mail (and, indeed, at times they have appeared to perhaps be targeting me individually), one cannot rely on e-mail always going through promptly - or at all.

Therefore, I have over the last few years developed the habit of Bcc-ing myself on any important e-mails, so that I will have an immediate confirmation that the mail has gone through (and it has been interesting, on occasion, to note delays in transmission of several hours, and - once - a whole day).

I did this with some job applications this morning. On one of them, the 'blind copy' didn't come through. So, after an hour or so, I re-sent it.

Then I discovered that both copies had been diverted to my Spam folder!!


How, HOW is it possible that e-mail originating from my own account can ever be identified as spam??? (And why did it only happen with this one e-mail, not with the other near-identical ones I'd Bcc-ed to myself earlier?) That's just CRAZY.



I think there used to be a tab that allowed you to label mail as 'Not Spam'. I assumed that this function automatically adjusted the spam filter to allow mail from that address - but maybe that was hoping for too much. Anyway, that facility now seems to have disappeared. Moreover, the 'edit filters' menu seems to be (temporarily?) unavailable - so I have no way of finding out why my own address is being identified as spamming, nor of correcting this error.

Oh yes, and I did for a while yesterday suffer a return of this irksome glitch where it becomes impossible to add attachments to e-mails.


There are numerous other - great and small - irritations and lapses in functionality I've been putting up with in Yahoo Mail over the past couple of years; I am just about reaching the end of my tether. I've been using the service for, oh, at least a dozen years now, I suppose; it will be very hard to adjust to anything else. I tried G-mail a few years ago, but never warmed to it. I am, however, fairly seriously on the lookout for a new e-mail provider now. I would welcome any recommendations.

2 comments:

stuart said...

"(and it has been interesting, on occasion, to note delays in transmission of several hours, and - once - a whole day)."

Same thing used to happen to me. So I tracked the IP addresses and times that emails were opened by 'recipients' for a while. There were some ridiculous anomalies. One time an email was opened by an IP located in central China when the intended recipient was in Australia!

That was my hotmail account.

And now this: http://www.chinahush.com/2010/01/13/gmail-security-breach-want-some-proof/

And this: http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-01-13/chinas-secret-cyber-terrorism/full/

The CCP wouldn't really behave in this way, would they?

Wait! Let me think. I've got it!

Of course they feckin' would.

To summarise, you're being monitored for sure.

Here endeth the rant.

Froog said...

Wow, you have tools for monitoring where your e-mail goes? How does that work?

No, I don't really want to know - I'm too proud of my reputation as a cyber-Luddite!

Funniest thing that ever happened to an e-mail of mine was during SARS. I wrote a long mail to all my old university buddies about what a ghost town Beijing had become. As far as I know, it got through to everyone on the mailing list OK - probably with some delays, but without any other interference. Well, except for the copy that had been sent to a friend in Australia. He returned it to me to show me what had happened to it: the text was still perfectly legible, but it had been struck through! (And not even all of it: the strikethrough began about a third or half of the way in - I think immediately after the third time I'd mentioned the dread word SARS.) Why would censors do that? And why only with Australia-bound mail? I was quite mystified.