Saturday, November 28, 2009

Film list - holiday treats

A very quick film list this month - without the usual year of release and director credits, because I don't have ready access to the Internet at the moment.

Since the holiday season is nearly upon us (and since I spent much of this last week in boxing up my enormous DVD collection), I have been reflecting on some old favourite films that I'd like to watch again.  And a good splurge of film-watching is a key part of the Christmas holiday for me.  I used to love the themed seasons they had on BBC2 in my childhood – you could watch a dozen Fred Astaire or Billy Wilder films in the space of one week.  Heaven.

These days, I try to recreate that happy feeling by shutting myself up indoors for a few days with my DVD player.  So I give you….

 

10 Holiday Treats for Christmas

Grosse Point Blank
One of the few DVDs in my collection not pirated, since I brought it with me from the UK.  A deliciously dark comedy about a professional assassin attending his high school reunion.  My favourite John Cusack film; and I love almost everything he's done.

Barry Lyndon  
The Christmas TV schedules usually feature a few lush historical epics, so this is the kind of thing I associate with my childhood memories of the holiday.  I acquired this in a Kubrick boxed set some time ago, and I realise I've never seen it.  I think it's the presence of Ryan O'Neal – who I find almost unwatchable – that has discouraged me in the past; but this holiday, I'm going to bite the bullet.  It is, I think, the only gap in my knowledge of the great director's work.

Hannibal Brooks
A charming wartime fable about a British POW working as a zoo-keeper, who, when the zoo is bombed out, leads his elephant to safety over the Alps.  I haven't seen this since I was a kid, but it is a classic feelgood film.

The Wizard of Oz
  Another holiday tradition, but I haven't seen it for yonks.  In fact, I'd lent my copy to a Chinese teacher friend a couple of years ago, and have only just got it back.

Music and Lyrics
 
One of the best romantic comedies I've seen in recent years, and threatening to become something of a personal 'Christmas tradition' – in that it was a present from my buddy The Chairman two or three years ago, and I find myself watching it again at this time every year.  It's full of sharp lines, and the two principals, Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore, have enormous charm.

Team America
 
Damn, I watch this probably three or four times a year, but I'm about due again.  Warped genius!  "You are worthwhiff, Arec Bawrrin!"

Ninotchka
  Garbo laughs!  My favourite romantic comedy of all time, and I only just discovered a copy in my favourite 'golden oldie' DVD store.

Groundhog Day
I haven't watched this for ages, either.  In fact, I didn't think I had a copy, but having discovered that I do, it has instantly risen to the top of the playlist.

2001: A Space Odyssey
The list has been a bit lightweight so far, so I felt I ought to include at least one 'serious' film; and it's been 5 or 6 years since I saw this.

Scrooged
  More Bill Murray!  Love Bill – I could quite easily have put 10 Bill Murray films on my Christmas list, but I appreciate the need for some variety.  This is one of the only films on a Christmas theme that I really like.

 



3 comments:

Tony said...

None of these mean much to me except Barry Lyndon. Ryan O'Neal was grossly miscast (when wasn't he?) but this is amply compensated for by the sheer beauty of the natural lighted interiors, the gorgeous exteriors and the Schubert trios.
I envy you not having seen it and thus coming fresh to such a treat. Enjoy it over Christmas; it'll get you, my pretty, you and your silly little dog.

JES said...

Second Tony's remarks about Barry Lyndon. I haven't seen it in many years but it's a ravishing film at least to watch, though I can't remember a damned thing about the story or the acting.

I'd managed not to see Music and Lyrics on the grounds of superfluousness, since Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore seem to have been remaking the same movie in their separate recent careers. I may have to rethink that snooty dismissal in light of your approving description.

Froog said...

Oh my good god, I just watched it.

Thank you, gentlemen, you were quite right.

I am thinking it may just possibly be his best film. Well... not quite as wonderful as Strangelove, maybe, but getting very close.

It was a tad overlong, and - thank you, 17th Century potboilers - not really all that interesting a story overall, but... well, whereas in in Strangelove he made a depressing story funny, here he made a dull story engrossing. That's a hell of an achievement. I even thought O'Neal was pretty good in it.

And (by one of those fateful coincidences, I watched Cabaret last night) I think I am now in love with Marisa Berenson.

This is almost certainly the most visually beautiful film ever made. I recall very vividly the first time I saw Nuovo Cinema Paradiso and being blown away by the opening shot of the bowl of lemons framed in the whitewashed windowsill, with the Mediterranean in the background - and thinking, "My god, this is very painterly; I think I am going to love this." With Barry Lyndon just about every scene was like this. I could almost watch the whole thing again right now (except that it's three-and-a-bit hours long, and it's after midnight here already).

If I allowed myself to get dangerously obsessive, I could well imagine myself watching certain scenes over and over again.

I think I will almost certainly watch it again in its entirety before very long.