Monday, October 19, 2009

My philosophy of teaching

I just happened to come across this in a comment from a year ago on this post (itself on my approach to teaching, something which might well become a mini-series of its own), and thought it was worth reprinting.
 
 

I am very sceptical of the idea of "teaching" poetry.

I think the best teachers can do in most subjects - and just about all they can do in teaching literature - is to communicate their own passion.

You can't tell kids that they ought to be excited about something; you can't even really show them, most of the time, why they ought to be excited by something; all you can do is show them that it is possible to be excited by something - and hope that they may be inspired to go in search of that excitement themselves.


 
This in turn reminded me of an especially dismal metaphor that has long haunted me, an image that was elaborated to me - with great earnestness, as the sum of wisdom in the profession of teaching - by a particularly embittered and cynical old schoolteacher I worked with on one of my first teaching practice stints during my teacher training year (20 years ago now).
 
This miserable old git told me:  "Imagine there's an empty milk bottle on each desk in the classroom.  The teacher stands at the front of the room with a tin pail of water, and hurls the water into the air. Every once in a while, a few droplets may fall into the open necks of a few of the bottles.  But not very much.  And none of the bottles will ever be full, however long you fling water at them."
 
 
I've always preferred this analogy:  "There's a tap at the front of the class.  The teacher, without comment or explanation, goes to the tap and operates it, pouring himself a tall glass of clear, cool water.  He drinks the water, with quiet satisfaction, and returns to his desk.  He invites his pupils to help themselves to a glass also, any time they feel like it."
 

3 comments:

JES said...

I'd love to be (or have been) a student in a class taught by someone with your philosophy.

When I taught 15- to 16-year-old high school students at a pretty well-off school for a few years, my colleagues greeted with pursed lips my refusal to give grammar lessons. It seemed pointless to me -- still seems so. Nothing I was going to do in five(ish) hours a week, even if I threw in, say, a dozen hours of homework -- nothing was going to change whatever habits of language they'd picked up in all the years prior.

Now, I did have a sort of crusade going to convince them they could enjoy (or at least not resent) writing. And yeah, when I graded their writing I pointed out parts which weren't clear. (Some of the latter comments could have been construed as grammar lessons in disguise.)

But drilling them in parts of speech and such -- just stupid.

Which is your cue to tell me I've just trampled all over language-teaching beliefs you hold dear.

Froog said...

Well, I have a soft spot for grammar myself. It's a fundamental in learning Ancient Greek and Latin, and I felt it gave me an invaluable handle in starting on French (and later a bit of German and Spanish as well - long, long ago). I'm also somewhat unusual in that I had a very old-fashioned teacher in my first year at primary school (age 7) who still used grammar workbooks, long after they'd dropped out of fashion; and, at that age, I didn't find it too much of a drudge, and I was grateful subsequently for the firmer grounding in my native language that I probably got out of it.

But practicality is also a large part of teaching, and I agree that remedial grammar lessons for mature native speakers are a bit of a hopeless cause. In fact, I've always hated basic grammar teaching in my EFL work (and have almost never done any) because it's just not a very amenable style of lesson for almost anyone. Much better, I think, to find something that works with a given group of students, something that they will actually connect with and that may help them to make worthwhile improvements in their use of language.

This is true also, especially so, in the case of poetry teaching - which was the topic of the original post to which I added my comment here. Do you know that Billy Collins poem (reprinted here on Froogville a couple of years ago) about the schoolchildren whose approach to trying to "understand" a poem is to tie it to a chair and beat a confession out of it?

Anonymous said...

I loved your analogy!!

Earthling