Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Hammer of the fenqing

At the start of the month, my "China-bashing" blog-buddy Stuart put up this modest little post questioning whether Chinese schools really needed more 'patriotic education'.
 
Great oaks from little acorns, and so on.  That simple observation has now spawned a thread with nearly 120 comments (well, I suppose it helps that he's only been posting once or twice a month since he left China) - fully one third of them mine!
 
We've been having great sport teasing poor old Pffefer, Stuart's pet fenqing.  (Actually, I hesitate to use that term of him, because he's definitely at the more moderate end of fenqingdom and often has some quite pertinent things to say.  Unfortunately, on this occasion he's been behaving like a berserker, and has earned repeated slappings down.)
 
More recently a chap who calls himself 'in-ur-face fenqing' has joined in the fray too.  With a screen name like that, you know exactly what you're going to get!  (I banned him from Froogville a little while ago because he was like a dog that won't let go of a bone; indeed, he was like a dog that doesn't realise it's gnawing its own leg off, and I find that rather too pitiful a spectacle to endure.)  Stuart has had the brilliant idea of neutralizing his rabid hostility by giving him the more friendly nickname 'Cuddles'.
 
Do go and check this thread out.  I haven't had so much fun for ages.[Alas, Stuart allowed his domain registration to lapse after he left China. But that post can still be found here, courtesy of the Wayback Machine.]
 
But I really should get out more...

3 comments:

stuart said...

I am both humbled and grateful, your honour.

In particular, I appreciate the assistance in slicing apart and rebutting a lot of typical fenqing-style arguments (to charitably describe them).

I'm still waiting for the fun curve to level off, but it hasn't happened yet.

JES said...

Yikes.

Still, the Cuddles Stratagem appeals tremendously. I haven't been (un)lucky enough to have attracted anyone from any fringe group to my inoffensive little blog. But if that happens, I may take advantage of my blogging software's "edit user comment" feature to actually change the troublemaker's name as it appears on his/her post. I'm almost hoping it happens now.

In fact, it sounds like so much fun that I may start salvaging some spam at random, removing all the hyperlinks and changing the sign-in names to things like hormel666, and then answering them as if they were real comments...

A shabby way to boost the comment count. I don't know if I'm that eager for interactivity, and it's just short of posting comments to my own blog under someone else's name.

Froog said...

You are most welcome, Stuart. I think you deserve some sort of Creative Put-Down Award for your 'Cuddles' brainwave.

JES, you mean you don't comment on your own blog under assumed names?? I know someone who does that very creatively - even to the extent of creating additional blogs as cover!