Monday, August 10, 2009

Abroad thoughts from home

"Last night, I dreamed I went to Manderley again..."


Well, in fact I dreamed I went once more to that improbably spacious courtyard house I was hoping to rent in Beijing (and this time offered the landlord, I think, about one half or one third of what he was asking for the place; although the dream did not reveal his response...).

Am I finally starting to miss the dear old Jing? I think perhaps I am.

Then again, perhaps - with less than a week now until my return - I am just starting to panic about where I'm going to be living come September.


2 comments:

JES said...

I can't honestly say I'm eager for you to return to, well, yes -- I guess it is "home" by now, isn't it? Your posts from Elsewhere have absolutely had the feel of a man at something like peace.

And I suspect that by October you may have some encyclopedic rants to add to the volume in progress. :)

Froog said...

"Something like peace"?! How well I disguise the inner torment!

Ranting against the inadequacies of the world around me distracts me from self-lacerating analyses of my own inadequacies. Lots of that going on at the moment. I just haven't had the time to write about any of it.