Sunday, July 19, 2009

Don't write off the old men

This afternoon I went to see Stacy Keach's Lear at the Washington Shakespeare Theatre.

However, while having a quick bite of lunch in a sports bar over the road from the theatre, I was able to watch the last two holes of Tom Watson's final round at Turnberry, and the beginning of his play-off with Cink. I was sorely tempted to ditch the Shakespeare and stick with the golf. I mean, you can see Lear any time, right? Watson's achievement this week was truly unique, unrepeatable.

I stuck with the Lear because, when Tom missed his putt for the Championship on the 18th, I sensed it wasn't going to be his day after all. But still, for a man just shy of 60 to get himself into that position - magnificent, incredible. People will remember this for centuries, even if he didn't win.

2 comments:

JES said...

So how was Mr. Keach? He's had such an erratic batch of roles; I can never predict which ones I'll like and which ones will just deaden my spirit.

Froog said...

I might post a full review in a while.

I quite liked Keach. He has the necessary physical presence for the role, convinces you that Lear in his prime - and occasionally now - could be a seriously scary sonofabitch.

I was less won over by the production as a whole. A little too loud and busy. And jokey. Odd to have a production of Lear in which Lear himself doesn't quite seem like the main event.