Monday, June 15, 2009

Another great Chinese film plot summary

During my voice recording work last week I came upon this priceless distillation of the plot of a well-known film. It's not quite as good as this all-time classic, but....

The elder brother is a fool. The younger brother does not hate him for it.


Can you guess what it is?? (I'll put the answer in the comments, just in case it eludes you.)

I worry that this perhaps suggests an over-simplistic response to Western cinema in most Chinese viewers. I also worry that it betrays a certain characteristic naivety/intolerance of the Chinese in regard to mental disability. Still pretty funny, though.

3 comments:

Froog said...

Yes, of course it's.... Rain Man.

omg said...

Sometimes simplifying things is good. Sometimes... not so much. It loses a little something, no?

The British Cowboy said...

Surely a better capsule would be:

"The older brother is a fool. The younger brother is a whack job closet case."

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - above should be read as humorous commentary. Please don't sue me Mr. Cruise.