Saturday, May 16, 2009

It begins....

The anniversary is now less than 3 weeks away, and the powers-that-be are getting panicky.


As of yesterday, Blogspot is once again comprehensively blocked in China.

And this year (unlike last year), the Kafka Boys have remembered to block Blogger as well, so posting to your blog also poses problems.

They even seem to be managing to block via Tor, which I had always thought to be the most impregnable of proxy options (although, at present, I still seem to be able to circumvent this by changing the routing to adopt a 'new identity' every once in a while). This is very worrying.


6/4 - the anniversary of which this government dares not speak.

The anniversary of (depending on which view of history you adhere to)...

EITHER

The necessary suppression of some unimportant counter-revolutionary rioting instigated by a handful of troublemakers (probably with the backing of the CIA)

OR

The crushing of the largest spontaneous mass protest movement in history, involving the murder of hundreds of innocent civilians by troops marauding through the capital out of control



Now, usually I'm all in favour of fairly weighing all the competing claims of alternative interpretations of history. But in this case, there's really not much of a competition.


The CCP's obstinate insistence on its Cloud-Cuckoo-Land version of 'history' makes it look ridiculous in the eyes of the rest of the world and brings shame on a proud nation.

It really is time to come clean, boys. Or have you been lying so long, you no longer even know what the truth is?

4 comments:

stuart said...

Now that's my kind of blog post.

I'm in Oz for the foreseeable future and therefore have no problems reading such great content.

Don't be surprised if I quote you as the anniversary nears.

Hannah said...

"Kafka Boys", haha!
Though I'm not an active blogger, I'm still pretty upset about this GFW thing. But it doesn't matter. A proxy will work. Or shall I blog in the office where we're using a HK server? It's the last thing I would do actually.

Kirby said...

I have no comment.

Just want to shit this fucking Party.

Tit for tat, some day those fucking bastards will dance upon nothing.

froog said...

If I had any Internet access (I'm currently only able to use a web-based proxy that doesn't let me sign in to my Blogger account), I would be writing a lot more about this, Kirby.

Although one of the things that deters me from writing on it too much - or from talking about it too much with the Chinese people I know - is that I am wary of intruding on a private grief, wary of seeming to appropriate to myself something that is, I think, essentially a trauma of the Chinese people. We Westerners tend to want to emphasise the politic struggle it encapsulated, and to try to draw lessons for today. In the Chinese, particularly in Beijingers, it is a source of huge anger and pain. Those emotions need to find some release; and that release will not come from lynching those "responsible", but simply from beginning to talk about what happened honestly.