Saturday, April 25, 2009

Film List - my 6 favourite cinema experiences

Rather than share memories of favourite films, this month I thought I'd review some of my favourite cinema experiences.

So (in no particular order)......


The Ritz
My hometown 'flea-pit' in Monmouth. (Or was it The Regal? Or The Roxy? God, I've forgotten!) Most of my first few hundred cinema experiences must have been there. There were a few opera boxes at the back, which my parents usually favoured - it made for a remarkably cosy and intimate feeling, rather like being able to enjoy the cinema experience in your own living room. I recall becoming indecently aroused by Racquel Welch's fur bikini in One Million Years BC, scared witless by the homicidal computer in 2001, and bored and embarrassed by my parents' sorry addiction to The Sound Of Music (which they must have taken me to see at least a half a dozen times; it's only recently that I've become able to enjoy it again).

The Penultimate Picture Palace
An arthouse flea-pit in Oxford, where I whiled away most of my undergraduate days. (After a period in hiatus, I gather it is now operating again as The Ultimate Picture Palace.) All the Oxford cinemas were great (even the major chains in the city centre); indeed, I retrospectively justified my choice of Oxford over Cambridge to myself by reference to the amount of cinema available; in the '80s, Cambridge had only about half the number of screens that Oxford did, and no decent arthouse. The other independent Oxford cinemas, The Phoenix and Not The Moulin Rouge, were also wonderful, but the PPP was my favourite of all because it was so endearingly sleazy - and so cheap.

The Prince Charles
A sleazy arthouse cinema in the heart of London, with very cheap afternoon shows. During my law school days in the mid-90s, I was a weekly - sometimes daily - visitor there; and I always make a point of going there once or twice on every trip back to the UK now.

The Castro
A huge, old school cinema - complete with a Wurlitzer organ (although, unfortunately, I have not heard it being played) - at the west end of San Francisco's main drag of Market Street, adjacent to the 'gay ghetto' of Castro Street. I went to a screening of Dr Strangelove there on my first visit to the city 15 years ago. Sadly, the place was almost deserted; but it is undoubtedly the most beautiful cinema I have ever been in.

Nameless cinema in Nadi, Fiji
While backpacking around the world in the mid-90s, I took the opportunity to go to a local cinema in Fiji a couple of times. The main features were pretty disappointing - Maverick and Blink; the supporting films I have completely forgotten. However, it was a fascinating experience, a glimpse of what film-going might have been like in America or the UK back in the early days: an uproarious communal event with lively and almost continuous audience interaction - boos, cheers, laughter, shouts of "He's behind you!", etc. (I also recall cutting my hand to ribbons one night. I'd purchased a coconut on the street outside, but in the dark I was fumbling to prise the flesh out of the shell with a Swiss Army penknife that kept snapping shut on my fingers. Ouch.)

The China Film Archive
Not an especially wonderful cinema, and I've only been there once. But it's good to know that it's so convenient for where I live - only about a 20-minute walk away. And I had a marvellous time there last month at the 'Scottish Cinema of Dreams' festival organized by Tilda Swinton and Mark Cousins. Admission was free, but it wasn't clear how many advance tickets distributed via the Internet were actually going to be used (I'd tried to get some, but the website kept crashing), so there was quite a crowd of us waiting anxiously outside, wondering if we'd get in. It was great chatting with some Chinese film enthusiasts in the queue. Some other foreign friends showed up too. And we did all get in. They were trying to recreate the atmosphere of Scotland inside: potted pine trees, pine fragrance, projections of snowy highlands on three walls, and Cousins in his kilt. I could have done without Rod Stewart's Sailing before we started the movie - but some people found it jolly. We were there to see Bill Douglas's trilogy of autobiographical short films - which are striking, but very glum viewing: not easy to sit through in a single stretch. It was also somewhat unfortunate timing, in that the early evening showing had started at around 6pm - dinner time! Luckily, there was an extended break between the second and third instalments, so we all ravenously dashed out on to the streets in a hectic search for the nearest snackfood vendors. And nobody minded that we brought beer and chuanr into the theatre with us for part three. The perfect cinema refreshments! That was the most fun (despite the oppressively dour nature of the films) I've had at the cinema in several years; and, almost certainly, the most fun I'm ever likely to have at the cinema in China.

5 comments:

Leigh Russell said...

I found this really interesting, more because of what you revealed about yourself and your life, than because of what I learned about the cinemas. It also sparked off memories - Hal, the computer in 2001, and the blinking Sound of Music. I remember it well. Never been to China though. I'm off to check out your blog now to find out more. As a member of the Book Book blog you're invited to my Virtual Book Launch in June. Please check out my blog for the details if you're intereted.

Froog said...

Thanks, Lee.

Best of luck with the book.

Livia said...

My favourite cinema experiences:
- New Picture House, St Andrews (during my youth) - had 2 screens, one gigantic barn seating about 800, and another tiny one which was 1/8 of the original cinema. It has a balcony (great for chucking popcorn from) and I have many memories of queuing literally round the block to get in to the Big shows of the age (ET/Star Wars/Indiana Jones etc.)
- Film Society in PX001 Physics lecture theatre, York Uni - I joined after admiring the Chairman running up and down the stairs in tight green jeans (shame he was gay) and made loads of life-long friends. Since we ran the whole cinema experience ourselves I got to try my hand at projecting (Dolby surround sound, 35mm projector, cinemascope, spool towers, splicers, all-singing-all-dancing-all-breaking-down fun) as well as choosing the programme and organising front-of-house. The committee used to sit along the back row (naturally) and the best among us could transport themselves two feet backwards over the seat back in under 2 seconds in order to get into the projection booth in a hurry when the film snapped. Ah, happy days.
- the Cameo cinema, Edinburgh. One of the few cinemas I know where you can take alcohol with you into the show. And they have a good programme.
- The Dominion cinema, Edinburgh. Two of my best friends decided to have part of their wedding reception here, and showed Singing In The Rain, with snacks and champagne between the ceremony and the evening reception.
- Some multiplex cinema in Delhi (actually Noida) that I went to on the way home from work one day. We went to see some Bond film and settled down into gigantic full-recliner seats with pillows and blankets and at-seat-service. Incredible!

Froog said...

Wow, Livy, that's some serious cinema-going heaven.

I'm sure I've been to the Cameo a few times during the Fest, but I didn't remember they served booze. The Prince Charles on Leicester Square does as well, but only in bottles - no draught, no glasses. (At Uni, I used to smuggle beers into the cinema inside my long overcoat!)

I look forward to checking it out again.... maybe this August, with a bit of luck.

Froog said...

And, er, sorry about the careless misspelling, Leigh.