Thursday, February 19, 2009

Ominously quiet....


The building site outside my window has been completely shut down since a week or more before the Chinese New Year holidays - over a month now.

It is now 10 days since the official end of those holidays, and there's still no sign of life there.

I worry that the project may have been abandoned - a conspicuous victim of the 'meltdown' right on my own doorstep!

I know it may seem paradoxical to complain about this, after all the griping I did when they started this work back in October, but..... well, I had got used to enduring the 24-hour noise outside, and I was rather looking forward to the dratted work being finished. I don't want to have to look out on this eyesore indefinitely.


[And yes, it's been snowing in Beijing for the past couple of days. The Spring is threatening to be even more
schizophrenic than it has been in the last couple of years. The first half of February was uncommonly mild: the daytime temperature got up into the 60s Fahrenheit a few times last week. This week - arse-freezing again! And the first snow of the year! 5 more weeks until it's really Spring, I reckon. 5 more weeks....]

No comments: