Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The 12 Days of Christmas - a year-end review?

I've conceived a plan to try to give myself a break from daily blogging over the upcoming holiday by re-printing a selection of the best posts from the last 12 months.

I have endeavoured to contact all of my 'regular' readers (and/or anyone who's ever left a favourable comment!) to ask them if they can nominate one post they remember as a personal favourite - from either or both of my blogs. I already have a number of replies, and a few more promises "to get around to it".

However, I thought I'd make a more public announcement - just in case there's anyone I missed; or in case there are some lurkers I don't yet know about out there who'd like to join in.

Just leave me a comment here with the name and date of a post you like (and perhaps just a line or two about why, if you can be bothered).

I'm intending to run this series of re-posts as a sort of End of Year Review from 25th December to 5th January - so you still have plenty of time. I'll put a notice up over on The Barstool as well. Please join in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked Haiku Bar Haiku No 99 about playing pool.

And you had one I forget when, a couple of months ago on Barstool Blues about "Cynthia" - that was hilarious!

Happy holidays, man.

Anonymous said...

Probably not fair for me to comment, since I discovered you only in June and don't return the compliment of your daily blogging with daily reading, but, well...

(1) Unfortunately, your Olympics commentary was smeared across a long swath of the calendar but it was all, well, excellent. Perhaps you could select the post-mortem entry (from 8/31) -- the "what did I expect?" one. But again, to do it justice I think you'd need to include one of the nuttier posts, too... sort of a sublime-to-ridiculous approach... maybe one of the fantasy-girlfriend ones, or the one (was there just one?) about some of the malformed English.

(2) Your series posts are great -- the aforementioned fantasy-girlfriend ones, for example, or the more recent Advent-silliness one, or the Haiku of the Week. And so on. But I think my favorite (this will probably come across as a left-handed compliment) was the week when you were too busy to post much more than images. As I mentioned then, I admired the point of view which brought them to us.

...All of which will be spectacularly unhelpful, since it's all "narrowing" my recommendations down to several dozen options!

Froog said...

Nice to hear from you, Gary. I was hoping to maintain the weekly haiku during this retrospective, so I am particularly grateful for that suggestion.

JES, well, yes, you have left me a lot to be going on with! Thank you. I suppose my 'What did I expect?' post on the disappointment of the Olympics is your most specific recommendation, so we'll go with that.