Sunday, November 02, 2008

Traffic Report - blog stats for October

The 'slowdown' overtaking the world's economies has yet to be emulated in my blogging, despite my oft-stated resolve to stop overdoing it so much.

Last month, there were (the usual) 50 posts and nearly 15,000 words on Froogville.

On the Barstool, there were 39 posts and around 11,000 words.


Visitor numbers still seem to be fairly static at around the 150 per week mark, despite the generous puff (and occasional syndication!) I have received from the much more widely read Other Men's Flowers blog.

However, according to Statcounter, I have recently received first-time visitors to Froogville from places as diverse as Vietnam and Hawaii - as well as an 'unknown' who appears to be based exactly on the Equator, just off the coast of West Africa (an oil rig worker, perhaps? or a round-the-world yachtsman??). Meanwhile, the Barstool has drawn fleeting attention from Fiji and Malta. What is it about island nations and drinking?

I am also rather excited to discover that I am now the No. 1 Google return for "worst Irish joke". Alas, I fear it is an indication of the decline in popularity of the genre in recent years that the eminence of this post on the search engines does not yet seem to have drawn in a host of new readers.

Commenting has been rather thin of late. Tulsa continues in her monastic retreat from blogging. The Mothman has poor Internet access in Bulgaria. And the British Cowboy is developing a 'love life' again, always a fatal blow to online friendships. Of Snopes, The Bookseller, Little Anthony and the rest, nothing can be said. We haven't heard from Gary or The Lunch for a while, either. Mighty quiet around here.....

Thank you, anyway, to my few loyal and appreciative (if largely silent) readers. I suppose I will keep churning out this whimsy as long as anyone wants to read it.

1 comment:

Froog said...

Is the use of 'slowdown' and 'overtake' a touch inelegant?

I think it's possible to think of 'overtake' as 'taking possession of' or taking by surprise' rather than just as a passing manouevre in car. However, the latter is certainly the commonest connotation of the word these days, so some might see this as an awkward mix of metaphors.

Forgive me. I was very, very tired at the time.