Friday, November 28, 2008

Chinese people LOVE me! (21)

"Rickshaw drivers love me because...... I always turn down their persistent solicitations with politeness and good humour."

Well, almost always, anyway. There are a lot of these bicycle rickshaws operating in my neighbourhood, since the historic Bell and Drum Towers and the Shichahai lakes are quite a tourist magnet. And their somewhat aggressive optimism in touting for rides can get a bit wearing at times. I figure most of them must recognise me by now, since I've basically been living in this same neck of the woods for more than 6 years. And even if they have no memory for foreign faces, it should be pretty obvious that I am not a tourist! But these guys just refuse to accept that there is such a thing as a hopeless case. I've even had them try to offer me "the hutong tour" when I'm walking home from the supermarket with bags full of groceries, or when sitting on the Bell Tower steps swigging a bottle of beer.

Just occasionally it gets to be a pain-in-the-arse; but most of the time I find it rather quaintly amusing.



Next week: My landlord

No comments: