Friday, October 31, 2008

Weekly haiku

A party excuse;
White sheets, gore and ghost stories -
Spooky festival.


I've never developed any fondness for the Halloween holiday, which seems to be mainly an American tradition - and one that I believe only began to be imported into the UK in the '70s or '80s (perhaps as a result of the success of Happy Days??).

However, it seems to be a very popular event with many of my friends. Even my (determinedly British!) friend DD is going out to a party tonight. And who am I to begrudge anyone their entertainment?

Have fun, people.

2 comments:

Livia said...

Actually Hallowe'en was imported to the USA from Scotland - guising became trick-or-treating and turnips morphed into pumpkins (much easier to hollow out, but practically impossible to carry around on a string when guising). All the trappings that are so popular now are probably the American effect, but the core basics have been around in the UK for several hundred years. :D

Froog said...

Really? I never knew that.

You are like my own private Wikipedia, Livy! Or that Dean Stockwell character in Quantum Leap.