Saturday, October 25, 2008

Vindication through syndication

When I glanced at my favourite blog, Other Men's Flowers, this morning, I had this strange feeling that the estimable Tony's latest post seemed rather familiar, that it was in fact uncannily similar to this one of mine from a week or so ago. Was this just a case of "great minds" thinking alike? In my sleep-deprived brainfog, I was inclined to suppose that it was. But then I stopped skimming and read the piece in full, and discovered that it was in fact identical to my post.

It took me a few moments to recall that I had but recently authorised my new blog-friend to plagiarise me at will. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but reprinting is the most flattering. (And yes, I know, it's not plagiarism if it's authorised; but 'copy' is such a dull word.)

It is pleasantly reassuring, after two years of blogging in a void, largely ignored even by the close friends to whom I continually commend these outpourings of whimsy, to find that someone actually likes my stuff enough to show it to other people.

My only reason for hoping that Tony will not copy my pieces too often is that his blog output is strictly rationed to 15 posts a month, and I like his original compositions much better than my old tat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, come on, Froog, that's nor fair. You couldn't have "taken a few moments to recall" that this was an authorised reprint of one of your pieces because I prefaced it with a paragraph in which I said that it was, giving an acknowledgement and a link to Froogville.
Anyway, I shall contimue to reprint you, since you don't mind, though I shall have to be be selective because you tend to write frequently about bands, booze, birds and bars. As you know, my readers are mostly leading academics, well-known literati and men of the cloth, and would be either puzzled or shocked by references to such subjects,

Froog said...

Yes, yes, I know. But I really was a bit brainfogged that morning.

I shall be deeply honoured if you deem any of my inane japery to be worthy of your dauntingly highbrow readership.

"Bands, booze, birds, and bars" would make an excellent tagline for The Barstool.... although I wouldn't want it to sound like too much of a 'lad mag'. Then again, perhaps I should acknowledge my moral duty to warn off the easily offended. I wouldn't want to upset any of the bishops or professors who might wander over from your blog.