Saturday, May 31, 2008

I hate it when that happens.....

Which could, indeed, become the title for a series of posts......

I was just in the local bank, lining up to pay my month's telephone bill. The guy in front of me had a stack of cash to deposit. Really. About 500,000 RMB. You have no idea how long it takes one of the tellers here to count (and re-count) that much. I switched to another line.

It's also difficult in these circumstances not to ponder idly on the practicalities of mugging. I mean, if you happen to see a portly middle-aged geezer heading towards the bank with a shopping bag full of money.......... I wonder how on earth he came by such an amount. It's far more than I am ever likely to amass in savings in a lifetime of working here.

He was wearing pyjamas, too......

No comments: