Tuesday, December 11, 2007

An ominous phone call

Probably another entry in my would-be series, 'Signs you're about to get canned'.

The boss phoned me out of the blue this morning to ask if I could come in today for my 6-month performance review. I only work 3 days a week for this outfit, and Tuesday ain't usually one of those days.

I do suddenly get a sinking feeling about this.

It would be a bit of a shock to get canned now, though. There's been no further warning of dissatisfaction. In fact, there seems to be no likely pretext at all. There haven't been any more problem issues since I first started to get a bad vibe from them a few months back. I've been working hard; getting things done; my colleagues in the UK all seem to like me; my clients here in China (mostly) love me; I've even managed to develop a modus operandi with my tempestuous Chinese colleague where she doesn't throw Tasmanian-Devil tantrums all over the office any more - even if I tell her she's wrong about something! No, things have all seemed to be going pretty well.....

But the boss man's voice did sound heavy with 'bad news'.......

Well, we shall see. I have deferred the confrontation until tomorrow. If they're going to sack me, they can at least do it on a day I'm (supposed to be) getting paid for!

8 comments:

The British Cowboy said...

Worrying about this kind of stuff is invariably worse than the actual event itself.

The fact it is on a day you don't work there means nothing. You are firstly assuming your boss remembers what day you work there, and secondly that he cares whether you come in on a day off or not.

Froog said...

Yes, well, there are only 8 people in the office, Cowboy. So, he knows what days I work; and he knows darn well I'm not going to come in on any other day without a very good reason.

Anonymous said...

My guess is your boss was supposed to hand in the review to his boss last week, he just realized it and called you up.

Or, your boss wants to take the day off tomorrow and wonders if he can get you to rearrange your schedule to suit his needs.

c'mon, it's not uncommon for ppl to be inconsiderate about employee's time... oh, you handed that proposal in last week for me to review? well, let's see if I can't return it to you on Friday evening at 6pm with comments requiring you to do major overhaul for a Proposal that we have to turn in Monday....

has nothing to do with the EmployEE.

anyways, good luck, today.

homeinkabul said...

I concur with T, good luck though

Froog said...

Well, yes, thank you all.

I guess my luck was good today because I JUST GOT CANNED!

They've obviously been thinking about it since shortly after I arrived, and the decision against me has been solidifying - even if they won't admit it, or don't realise it themselves - for at least 2 or 3 months. So, it's not entirely a "surprise". And it is in many ways a relief.

Kind of shitty timing all the same, though....

Anonymous said...

Goodness, they really did it! So sorry to hear. Well, kind off - I know you didn't love that job but its never nice being given the sack.

So your hunch was right all along.

Anonymous said...

Damn. yes i just swore. deal with it.

who fires "anyone" right before the holidays??

you're better off without them.

homeinkabul said...

dammit! that sucks! (I cuss all the time, so i guess it's not that big of a deal but still, dammit!)

froog, i'm sorry.