Sunday, December 16, 2007

Conspiracy Theory No. 666 - The Evil Bastard Employers Fight Back (?)

The impetus for yesterday's extended recollection about my miserable first year in Beijing came from my discovery (I haven't been taken off the internal e-mailing network at the office yet..... perhaps they'll forget to do it altogether unless I remind them?) that the EBEs - the stupendously horrible private college I worked for then - are being cultivated as a new potential partner for my most recent employer, the British education company; indeed, they were due to send an EB delegation into the office on Friday for a big glad-handing session.

A curious coincidence. It does make you wonder whether there might not be some connection between my unexpected, unexplained, and brutally immediate sacking and this putative new business deal. If the EBEs had learnt that I was involved with the company (nay, would be the person responsible for 'accrediting' them as one of our teaching centres - or refusing their accreditation, as the case may have been), I don't think they would have been very happy! But could they actually have wielded that unhappiness to lobby for my dismissal?? I wouldn't really have thought so, but...... some pretty strange things of that nature happen in China.

Then again, maybe they're not so Evil and Bastardly any more. My main grievance was against the vicious old ratbag who used to run their 'International Department' - but she got the boot (I'd like to think it was at least partly my doing) the following year. It might have been rather fun to renew my acquaintance with the rest of them 4 years on.....

No comments: