Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Bummer! 6 reasons I'm not completely convinced about the virtue of losing my job

1) It was - some of the time, anyway - quite interesting, varied, and challenging work.

2) It gave me stability of income. (Something I've never really enjoyed in my entire life before!)

3) I was about to get a British health insurance package through it. (I've never had proper health insurance since I came to China!)

4) The business is - just maybe - about to take off in a big way in China. It would have been quite exciting to play a part in that.

5) They were providing my visa for me. (So, I now might well have to leave the country, at next-to-no notice, to get a new one.)

6) There will be NOTHING happening in any of the various freelance markets I like to operate in until the other side of the Chinese New Year..... i.e., I am facing about 3 months of enforced idleness and zero income. Not good.

5 comments:

homeinkabul said...

eh, i'm with the consolations side...more convincing.

Anonymous said...

I agree with HiK. 1 - you can get elsewhere; 2 - you've managed well enough without so far and as you menion, it was paltry; 3 - you'd never actually use it, you hate doctors; 4 - you'v already played a big part in that; 5 - get a passport agent, yes it costs, but not more than what you'd pay to leave the country and spend on hotels and stuff and come back; 6 - time to start on that (i) book; (ii) collection of short stories; (iii) proposals to magazines/papers to write a regular article - you'd be great at that!!!

You will be just fine without this job.

homeinkabul said...

I'd like for you to do #6, seriously. It'd be a waste of your talent

moonrat said...

i have to agree, the consolations were about 600 times more convincing.

Froog said...

Ah, Moonrat - you're AWAKE.

And when Moonrat wakes up, all of her friends wake up too....