Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Today's hilarity in the studio

Hopes for a rare day free of corpsing behind the microphone were soon dashed, when after just a few minutes my (female) recording partner DD was required to chastise me with the line:
"See what trouble your Willie has got into this time!"

(I'm not sure if this is a universal usage throughout the English-speaking world, but in the UK 'willie' is frequently a coy nickname for the penis. In this script, we merely had a father being blamed for the mischievous behaviour of his young son.)


Later on, complimenting a woman (apparently on weight loss - the rest of the dialogue was a tactless interrogation on crash diets and slimming pills), I had to open with the improbable, but oh-so-definitively Chinglish line:
"You look so fresh and cute these days."


It's "these days" that particularly gets my goat; Chinglish, for some reason, refuses to have any truck with the word 'recently'. But "fresh and cute"?? Is any woman going to allow herself to be charmed by such a mangled, obscure compliment?

3 comments:

argonox said...

Oh, I think Willie suggests the same thing among all anglophone peoples.

Heh.

Froog said...

Oh, I thought they had much more exotic words for it in the rap sub-culture in which you immerse yourself!!!!

Anonymous said...

Heh heh. Really like that first one.