Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The immovability of birthdays (etc.)

I just put a little post over on the Barstool, confessing my strictness on the issue of whether you can observe 'special days' - in party fashion - on a more convenient alternative to the calendar date on which they actually fall. I say NO.

When my lovely lady friends started spurning my overtures for a birthday night out a couple of weeks ago, one or two of them asked whether we couldn't do something on the following day, Sunday, instead.

I'm afraid I was unimpressed, unethusiastic. I pointed out - by return of text message - that after the anticipated (solo, if need be!) drinking session on Saturday evening, I was likely to spend the whole of Sunday "in the ICU, with liver failure".

It wasn't that bad, as it turned out (although it was essentially solo). But I did spend most of Sunday hiding under the duvet, trying to catch up on the sleep I hadn't had the night before (or for some days and nights previously).

There is (mercifully) only one birthday (unless you're The Queen, that is). There is only one Christmas Day. There is only one St Pat's. There is only one Mid-Autumn Festival. If you can't make the effort to celebrate it when it falls during the working week (or at some other time that just isn't convenient for you), well, you'll just have to skip it this year. That's just the way it is, as far as I'm concerned.

Doubtless, this pronouncement could stoke up a fair bit of discussion... Well, that's what we like on here - a bit of to & fro, cut & thrust, sally & riposte, blahblahblah.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed, I wouldn't if at all possible.

Froog said...

Wouldn't what?? That's a bit cryptic, FG.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't celebrate on other days if at all possible.

My grandparents were quite strict about it. I'm flexible but still much prefer things to be on the right day as if it has any meaning for me then it is about the special day.

moonrat said...

i'm boycotting halloween this year.

Froog said...

Only this year, MR? Too many tricks, not enough treats last year??