Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Christmas is cancelled

Or rather, my birthday is.

I don't really like celebrating, or even remembering birthdays. But then again, I do like any excuse for a party. And, oddly enough, I do seem to have fallen into the habit of doing something or other to mark my birthday every year that I've been in China (whereas I just about never did back in the UK or the US - at least, not since I was about 10 or 12) - I suppose we are all just that much more social in an expat community.

This year, however, I am short of inspiration, short of energy - and short of friends. So many people have decamped recently - gone back home, gone to other, more exotic countries, gone to The Other Place (i.e. Shanghai). I really need to start getting out there more, and making myself some new friends.

My buddy Tennessee Tom is threatening to throw a party at his apartment this weekend. I think that will have to do in lieu of my organising a repeat of the wild Froogian Bacchanalia of last year.

Details, Tom?? Only three days to go now!

7 comments:

moonrat said...

happy froogday!!!

Froog said...

Why, thank you, Moonrat. I have never thought of it like that before. Makes it sound more individual than just any old boring birthday.

And it seems that you will be the only person to wish me a 'happy anything' this year.

Strangely appropriate - since this kind of neglect is suffered by the original Froog, a character in the sci-fi comedy Dark Star, something that brings him to break down in tears during a very funny video diary montage.

Anonymous said...

"And it seems that you will be the only person to wish me a 'happy anything' this year"

I take offense.

Do my comments get lost? Do my texts disappear into the void?

Nothing against Moonrat -- I'm sure you'r absolutely lovely dear --- I just find Froog to be wallowing in self-pity to the point of forgetting the rest of us just tooo much to go uncommented upon.

Anonymous said...

Well said, Tulsa!

Stop wallowing in self-pity for being another year older, Froog!
Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed.

I hope you aren't one of these people like one of my friends that expects people to remember his birthday and he doesn't bother with anyone else's. Every year of the 17 years I have known him, I have sent him a birthday card. This year, I didn't. And then I get the drunken phone call, upset that I hadn't sent him a card this year. This is the very same guy who has never sent me a card, and do I huff about it??? No.

Happy Birthday for Saturday, Froog. I'll not cast up to you either that you didn't send me birthday wishes last week...

Froog said...

Well, I didn't know it was your birthday, did I, Ali?

And I think you were huffing about that bloke just then.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tulsa and Scottish Ali, your comments mean I don't have to write similarly.

The B word has come up a lot round here lately and we still have 48 hours to go (and counting...)

Anonymous said...



Here you can express your bitter feelings at anybody you wish. Sign up as a club member as receive a FREE KISSMYASSCLUB.Com sticker to send to the person you most want to kiss your ass!




Here you can express your bitter feelings at anybody you wish. Sign up as a club member as receive a FREE KISSMYASSCLUB.Com sticker to send to the person you most want to kiss your ass!