Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Chairman writes a guidebook

My pal Tony 'The Chairman' is away in the north-eastern city of Shenyang this weekend.

I've never been there, but might have to go soon for work; so I quizzed him by SMS yesterday as to what it was like.

His terse reply: "Cold and non-descript."

That could - unfortunately - apply equally well to just about every city and town in China.


I was, of course, reminded of Ford Prefect's painstakingly researched summary of Planet Earth for The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy: "Mostly harmless."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to watch Hitchhikers. or read it.

probably watch it is more time efficient considering I am decidedly finding other activities to do during my normal reading time.

I don't suppose you have the DVD? Otherwise I'll have to schlep around town looking for one...

Froog said...

I rather doubt if the film version is any good, and I'm not in any hurry to see it.

The early-80s TV series is bad but mildly diverting, and at least featured most of the original cast from the radio series (including the marvellous Peter Jones as the voice of The Book, and Stephen Moore as Marvin, "The Paranoid Android"). I'm not sure if that's ever been released on DVD, though.

The books are great: you really should make time for them.