Saturday, June 09, 2007

Ronnie's Rocket

I mentioned last week in my "8 things you didn't know about me" post that I began my love affair with football as a Hereford United supporter when I was a small boy. And I remembered with special pride having witnessed one of the greatest moments in football history, that Ron Radford goal.



It might not look like that much on this little YouTube clip (taken from BBC 1's 'Match of the Day' programme), but trust me - it was a screamer: Ronnie was only just inside the Newcastle half when he started cantering forward, and was still well over 30 yards from goal when he met the wall pass and smacked it. But it gains so much from the context also: this was the greatest 'giant-killing' feat ever in the English FA Cup competition. Hereford at this point were still a non-league side, many of their players only part-timers; whereas Newcastle were one of the best 4 or 5 teams in the country, and were almost universally expected to win comfortably. This goal came - out of nothing - barely 5 minutes from the end of the game, a game in which we'd fallen behind quite early on, and in which, despite labouring valiantly and having most of the ball, we'd never really looked much like scoring. There might have been a few longer and/or harder shots over the years, but I don't think there have been any that were this crucial, that produced such an overwhelming explosion of emotion in the crowd.

It was a mere formality that this goal should win 'Match of the Day's Goal of the Season competition that year. At the end of the 1970s, it also won Goal of the Decade. It was shown on the BBC on FA Cup Final Day every year throughout the '70s; and well into the '80s, I think.

There's even a little China reference attached to this memory for me. My good friend Richard, who first enticed me out here in the early '90s when he was teaching at a small university in Hankou, professed ignorance of this classic football moment. I was sceptical, incredulous. He's a bit younger than me, but not that much: he must have remembered all of those Cup Final Day rundowns of "great moments in FA Cup history", always culminating in that Ron Radford goal.

We developed quite a little debate in our regular correspondence (approximately fortnightly, for most of the 4 years he spent in China - and real letters, too; ah, the days before e-mail!) as to which of us had the aberrant childhood experience or the faulty memory. He insisted this goal couldn't possibly be as momentous or well-known as I supposed. I berated him for having no knowledge of anything beyond the confines of his native Huddersfield.

Luckily, I was soon able to proffer some convincing evidence that my perception of this goal as a key cultural landmark of 1970s England was indeed correct. Nick Hornby's football-themed autobiography Fever Pitch came out at this time, and became a huge bestseller. Its gimmick was to draw parallels between Hornby's personal life and his experience of his beloved game of football. The book is almost entirely focused on his obsessive support of the Arsenal team. There are only three short chapters that are not about Arsenal: one is on Cambridge Utd (who Hornby briefly supported when a student), one is on the Brazilian national side,.... and one is on that Ron Radford goal. I sent Richard a copy in Hankou as a Christmas present that year. Even he now had to admit that this was probably the most famous goal of all time.

And I was there......

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. That was sweet. Like a bullet. I don't know if I've ever seen that clip before. Must share it with hubby. It may inspire us to pull out our "History of the World Cup" DVDs.

I'm watching Mexico v. Cuba right now. Cuba had a sweet goal, but not that sweet.

Froog said...

Arie Haan - manager of the Chinese national team for a while - scored a humdinger for Holland, from something like 40 yards out, in the 1974 World Cup; but it was in one of the group matches, a game they were going to win anyway.

I would never have guessed you were such a football - or 'soccer', if you must - fan, OMG.

Anonymous said...

Well, I always liked watching soccer - or football, if you must - but I have to admit that I watch it more now because my hubby plays and is a big fan. I don't keep up with many players or rankings, although I do have my favorites. And I suppose I am a bad American supporter because I watch EPL more than MLS. Oops.

EARTHLING said...

tulsa, are you out there? cos I feel someone else has started playing the first commenter game here. OMG keeps being the first many places and that's bad new for me. I really want that ticket to China, which I myself have chosen as the winning prize.

Anonymous said...

I'm here :)

Just haven't had a chance to read up or watch the clip.

Will catch up with y'all, soon.

Anonymous said...

earthling - your blog's gone private?

Anonymous said...

tulsa, I'm afraid it has and it will remain so. But don't worry because there will not be anything behind closed doors that anyone will miss out on.

Anonymous said...

I was never a close follower of football, but I do remember this goal. I was nowhere near Hereford at the time, but I recall it being quite a talking point across the country for some weeks afterwards.

I haven't tried out this Youtube website before, but it seems it may be quite a storehouse of nostalgic memories. I must look into it.