Wednesday, May 16, 2007

In the meantime..... (coming soon)

Tulsa seems to be too busy at the moment to attend to her challenge to produce her list of 'favourite posts' from this blog, so I have been pondering the matter myself.

I am planning to produce a guide to my 'archive', highlighting what are, in my - hopelessly biased and flawed - opinion, my best posts so far. I hope this will provide some diversion to any readers who may happen to join me during the anticipated period of 'light' posting over the next few weeks.

There's already such a huge back catalogue of posts that I can't easily winnow it down to just a few selections. I'm intending to approach it quarter by quarter, and I think that's likely to produce a couple of dozen recommendations or so for each period.

The first instalment will cover the end of last year - from my modest beginnings in September through till December 31st. That's slightly more than 3 months, of course, but what the hey. I was rather less prolific back then; but I suspect that the recent increase in volume has been 'padded' by a lot of shorter and sometimes less consequential posts; the amount of 'real quality' has remained much the same.

It will take a little while to finalise and write up the list, so bear with me. Expect it in a few days' time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could do a Monthly Top 5 or a Best Read of the Month. I did post a comment several weeks ago on preliminary picks for April.

Looking forward to seeing your picks.

Anonymous said...

Also, been meaning to mention:

Carter Revard

Google him. Originally I thought he would be a good spring point from which I'd start my own public blog, but I think it's not going to happen. (or, it hasn't happened, yet.)

So, I'll just refer you to him, instead.

I met him when I was an undergrad English Lit kid. My Creative Writing program held yearly summer Chautauquas (outdoor literary festival) and he was at one and he read a poem and I was overwhelmed.

The imagery of his words have stayed with me more intensely than than anything else I've read or heard. And so has his writing advice (we had a nice chat afterwards.)

For all my sensibilities, you'd think I was Native American.

Then again, I do call myself Tulsa... which comes from "Tallasi," a Creek word for "old town".

Random tidbit: Tallasi is also the root word for other towns stretching from Florida to Oklahoma (such as Tallahasee, FL)... places the Native Americans passed through on the Trail of Tears.

Froog said...

Oh, on that April 12th post of mine where I originally issued the challenge?

Sorry, that somehow slipped through the 'comment notification' net!

Take a look back there yourself - I just added my own 'April Top 10' for you.

I'll try to post your picks and mine properly next week some time.... when I have the time to sort out all the links for the posts.

Gosh, if it's that HARD to do one month, cherry-picking the whole back catalogue is going to be quite an undertaking, isn't it?!