Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Infinitely Strange

Yes, strange, strange, infinitely strange is the world in which we live.

I happened on this last night, while cruising around the Internet. (I was, I confess, frittering away an idle hour in trying to test my two blogs' search engine visibility. I thought for a moment that I was now a Googlewhack for "panda abductions" - but then I discovered that 'the rules' for this bizarre hobby are that your combined search terms should not be in quotations: that's harsh.)


I assumed at first that this had to be a joke: a rare gourmet coffee which acquires its unique characteristics as a result of being passed through the digestive tract of the Asian Palm Civet. This animal likes to feast on coffee berries, apparently, and then shits out the supposedly intact beans in convenient-to-collect logs (below). Coffee connoisseurs speculate that the creature's digestive enzymes, although not harming the sheath of the beans, somehow nevertheless enhance the complex flavour and aroma of the final product. This rare and expensive coffee is mainly produced in Java, Sumatra, and Sulawesi (where 'Luwak' is the local name for the animal), although versions of it are also made elsewhere in South-East Asia, notably the Phillipines and Vietnam (where it is unappealingly referred to as 'weasel coffee').

A finely-judged April's Fools' Day jest, surely? Slightly gross, definitely outlandish, but frighteningly plausible.

Well, if it's a joke, there are an awful lot of people out there who have been taken in by it, or who are colluding in propagating it. A large number of coffee companies and connoisseurs' fan-sites include references to it. Even dear old Wikipedia has an item about it - not that Wikipedia is foolproof, but I do think they would have sniffed out a hoax by now.

That animated picture, though, I'm still not sure about. I don't know the provenance of it - genuine advertising campaign by one of the coffee sellers, or some wag's piss-take of this most unusual of brews?

Does anyone have more information on this?


Note: The advertising picture at the top of this post actually has a rather groovy - rather gross - animation, but it seems to have stopped displaying on the blog (at least when viewed via Firefox). If you click on the picture to view it in a separate window, you should be able to see the animation.

10 comments:

georg said...

Do I have info on it? No. But I saw it on TV so it must be true. More seriously, I've seen it in more places than just TV. I suppose you could check Snopes.

Froog said...

Ah, in America - the home of crappy coffee - it is well-known?

I often feel that "life is passing me by" out here!!

Er, what is Snopes? I used to have a butler called Snopes, excellent fellow, but very ancient now, living a genteel retirement in Bournemouth.

Anonymous said...

you used to have a butler? is this a UK thing? you don't strike me as the "butler" type.

My guess on the crappy coffee being well known in the US-thing is it well known to all who watch (a) daytime tv and (b) late late night infomercials.

Imp said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Imp said...

Never tried it, but have come across it in various places -- see Firebox, for example.

I'd love to know if it is actually any good. Any volunteers?

georg said...

http://snopes.com/
The main debunker of web urban myths.

I didn't see anything on Snopes about this kind of coffee, however.

Froog said...

Thanks, Georg. I guessed it must be something like that, but I'd never heard of it before. I'll have to go check it out.

I wonder if my old butler has anything to do with it.

Anonymous said...

Mairi, I was lucky enough to sample some Kopi Luwak during my National Service in Malaysia in the '50s, and it is indeed excellent, full of complex nutty and musky hints, especially in the aroma. It is not available in Britain, as far as I can discover; and it would be doubtless be far beyond my humble means, if it were.

It is nice to see the young master (I can't bring myself to call him 'Froog' - a silly name!) doing so well for himself in the Orient.

Anonymous said...

By the way, I am 72. I don't consider that to be at all "ancient". The young man always was a terrible tease.

Froog said...

Snopes old man, is that really you?!

How the devil are you?

I hadn't expected you to have any time for this 'Information SuperHighway' malarkey. I've only recently started getting into it myself.

You have my e-mail, don't you? Drop me a line.