Saturday, March 31, 2007

Ominous, ominous (Where in the world am I? [44])

I couldn't resist throwing out one last little 'Where in the world am I?' with the number 44 on it.

It's a very BAD number in these parts, you see. Oh yes, it's terribly ill-starred, a passport to disaster. The locals are great believers in numerology.

Almost all of them succumb to the age-old superstition to some extent (I suppose most Westerners are a bit hung up about the number 13), and a great many let it rule their lives - to the extent that mobile phone SIM cards here are priced according to the desirability of their number combinations. Anything with 4s in it is considered bad juju, and will sell for next-to-nothing. Most foreigners here (well, the compulsive cheapskates I mostly hang out with, anyway) have at least three or four 4s in their eleven-digit number. True.

Can you guess where it is yet?

No comments: