Saturday, January 13, 2007

If Emily D were alive today....

Would she be writing haiku?

My new mystery commenter, 'Tulsa', suggested the other day that this week's haiku had an Emily Dickinson quality to it. I daresay it was meant as a compliment - she was a fine poet.

I thought I should try to come up with an 'Emily Dickinson haiku' in response, but.... I'm finding it hard.

I did, however, come up with this piece of foolishness: If Emily Dickinson had written AbFab, Eddy and Pats might have said things like -

Because I would not stop for Death
He kindly stopped for me.
He took me to Harrods, then the Ritz
And dropped me off for tea.

'Tulsa', what have you done to me??

And, by the way, if you "know me", as you claim, please drop me an e-mail to let me know who you are. The not-knowing is tormenting me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Froog,

You've left me with much say. So bear with me.

First, my sincere gratitude for the shout out to one of my favorite poets, Emily. Emily was quite prim and proper, following the rules of her class and society, but in her poetry she would unleash her passion. (oh, i want to refer to a poem about the boys bathing, but can't think of the title - in fact, i wonder if I'm not thinking of Whitman instead... hmm)

My library resides in 12x14x24 in. moving boxes, neatly piled in an attic in middle-America. So, i had not thought of Emily for ages (at least not since arriving in **** a few months ago), until I read your haiku. So, thank you. :)

Second, as you've guessed, the reference was most definitely a compliment! And I humbly acknowledge the possibility of your less than sober state at the moment of inspiration. You caught me at the crux of my presumption. And no, the rest does not "suck" - LOL... it's just different. as explained above, that particular haiku gave me something that made me happy - memories of Emily. BTW, I love the AbFab piece. :) So, whatever it is that I, Tulsa, have done to you, I hope I keep doing it!

Third, I have notice your mysterious approach to your location, ****. I understand the desire for anonymity and you need not fear exposure through me!

Fourth, knowing that I have read this blog, do you really think I'm not aware of it's drunken sister? Admittedly, you don't know me, but, really....

Fifth, I'm flattered by your desire to discover my identity. And while the "pretty please" and thoughts of you being "tormented" touches at my heart, I've decided to not reveal -- at least not yet. What fun is there in giving up so easily? I'll think about offering clues - but no promises. (though, note, herein I have confirmed at least one guess you made about me.)

Your mystery commenter,
^^^^^

Anonymous said...

p.s. i realize i said "you don't know me" in my previous comment. In an effort to not confuse you more than necessary ;) let me clarify that I meant to type "Admittedly, you don't know who I am..." Because, in fact, you do know me.