Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Accidental poetry

One of my (few) Christmas presents this year came from far across the seas, from my dear pen-pal Kate in Buffalo, NY. It was a 'Magnetic Poetry' set. More specifically, it was a 'Haiku Edition' of 'Magnetic Poetry'.

I used to have one of these on my fridge door once before (not the haiku version, though), when I was living in Toronto several years ago. I found then, as I am finding now, that I am reluctant to break up the sequences that the words are joined together in when you first take them out of the box. These often seem far more mystical and allusive than any new word combinations I might labour to produce.

The blocks of words are full of fortuitous phrases like 'mushroom morning', 'evening whisper', 'trickle breath', and 'almost cicada dream'. I particularly like the 'flower happy garden'.

Occasionally the sequences even seem to hold at least the germ of a complete short poem - if we allow a Manley Hopkins abandon in forging novel compound nouns, a cummings-ish fracturing of conventional grammar.


I like:

sleep creaks while a small laugh smiles

And:

some were from soon

And:

through autumn window
thought thunder
before always

And:

can but
say too
life live

And:

like full
him how
fall why

And:

dawn weeds leave night
sun sees a sad dog

And:

dead hard
only they want wind

Or this:

wander, harvest woman
snow after
later, field child early
more must soon
here, there come

...... sounds like the synopsis of a Thomas Hardy novel!


My current favourite, though, is this:


face wild song
look blue
still hear

How dare I tamper with such serendipitous beauty?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hah! i just wrote a comment, which disappeared into web page error-world as soon as I hit submit.

let's see if I can recreate it:

Wow, no post from Froog for Jan. 10th? I can only assume

a. your 'net is down again;
b. The Artist is in town and managed to peel your fingers off the keyboard; or
c. You've had enouch of your mystery country ;) and decided to ship off to Oklahoma, where you've bought a horse ranch and spend your days avoing the 'net by lounging on your broad front porch, seat tilted back, feet up on the butter-yellow railing, glass of sun-brewed icedtea in hand, hat tipped forward to block the sun from shining to bright into your sleepy eyes, but not tipped forward so much that you can't watch the horses graze at the blue grass, legs shifting, tails twitching.

I'm betting on C.

Froog said...

Ah, if only.

You do paint a very attractive picture, but.... alas, the explanation is a). Dammit!

Now, who do I know from Tulsa???

Anonymous said...

Or, who do you know who might know something about horses and lounging on front porches?

Froog said...

Well, I think (I hope) that most of the people I know have an affinity for porch-lounging. And quite a few of them know a thing or two about horses too. I do know at least one person from Tulsa (wife of a good drinking buddy from University days), but I don't THINK you're her. And I did once have a penpal who was a vet in Oklahoma or somewhere thereabouts.... but I don't think you're her either.

Dammit, Tulsa - you are determinedly MYSTERIOUS. I wish you'd come clean and identify yourself. I have a mental shortlist of three people I think you might be.... but I could very well be wrong on all of them.

Pretty please.....