Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Smoke gets in your eyes ('Where in the world am I?')

I am (as I think I may have mentioned in these pages before) living in a country, a city for which the WeatherUnderground website occasionally categorizes the day's weather outlook as 'Smoke'. I haven't checked if that's what we were told to expect these last few days - but it should have been.

A protracted spell of damp wintry chill has unfortunately coincided with a sudden peak in rubbish-burning (and/or one of those occasional "let's burn play money to keep the ancestors off our backs" festivals), so that the air quality since Sunday has been choking. On Monday morning it was particularly vile, downright toxic: visibility was down to a few hundred yards.

My friend's taxi driver that morning assured her that the sinister, clammy fug was "only fog". Er, no, I think not - fog isn't BROWN. And it doesn't smell and taste of burning. And it doesn't leave a fine dusting of beige soot over everything.

Things are finally clearing up a bit today, thank heavens.

Living in this city is taking years off my life....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And the taxi cigarette smoke fumes! ugh.

took a taxi to work today and the moment I sat down, I choked on the thick atmosphere of 100 day old smoke stuck in the confines of an old taxi.

My eyes burned, burned!

I rolled down my window, even though it must have been well-below freezing and tried to keep my nose sticking towards this city's "fresh" air outside the taxi.

Luckily, the cold air coming in from my open window discomforted the taxi driver enough that he sped, sped to my office. the sooner the better, I thought, out of this car.