Sunday, September 10, 2006

Where in the world am I?

I am in a place where it may be particularly dangerous to joke about becoming a spy.

I mentioned in my last post that I am fond of maintaining a sense of mystery about myself. Mostly that's just a frivolous attempt to make myself more sexy; but part of it - especially online - is a genuine (and not especially paranoid) concern for self-protection. The kinds of things I say and think and write could, from time to time, offend my hosts in my adopted country. And I'd rather not get myself deported just yet, thank you very much.

So, I'd like to see how long I can go without mentioning what that adopted country is.

I will, however, throw out occasional hints.

For example: I live in a country where, when they dig a road up, they dig all of it up - however long it may be. Hence, the road around the lakes near my apartment, my favoured early morning jogging route, is currently completely impassable. It is almost all dug up. And it is a three-mile circuit. I fail to see any convincing logic behind this approach.

No comments: